Author Topic: Spoofchecking on RPGbots??  (Read 4336 times)

Offline ANGRY_TURKEY

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Spoofchecking on RPGbots??
« on: March 04, 2010, 16:06 »
What is the reason behind putting spoofcheck to rpgbots?

I understand that it's necessary on dota bots, since they have stats and all, but why on rpgbots?

It's really damn annoying, since you can never get a full house to play the map.

Let's say you are hosting pudge wars. You got lucky and it's full house pretty soon. Then you type .start. It pops up a messafe telling that 5 players are not yet spoofchécked. One of them spoofchecks, and you try to make the others understand that you can't start without spoofcheck, but they either spam "go", either because they are retarted or just can't understand english very good or because they are afking.

So I have to kick all four of them, and then either other people start calling me "retarted host" and leave or I won't get a new 4 players which can spoofcheck in 15 minutes..

So my suggestion is to remove the spoofcheck from rpgbots, since I see no reason why they have it anyways. That would greatly increase the playability of the rpgbots..

Offline fawkz

• Founder
  • F#WKz!
  • Awards LA High Staff [EPIC]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Spoofchecking on RPGbots??
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 16:39 »
I think you are right, we will remove it soon.
Thx for report.

Offline ek0

• Honored member
  • HolyShit Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 17:08 »
What about bans?

Offline ANGRY_TURKEY

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 17:41 »
What bans? You can't ban on rpgbot, and if you get banned from dotabots isn't it enough punishment that you can't play dota?

+ maybe less than one of hundred people actually use spoofer so why should playing on rpgbots be much harder because of them?

Offline ek0

• Honored member
  • HolyShit Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 17:46 »
I'm not sure about this, but when a player (with name spoofer) joins a game, does the bot see his spoofed nick, or real nick?
If spoofcheck is disabled and bot sees the spoofed name, then a player that is banned on the bots, can join with everynick he wants.

Offline ANGRY_TURKEY

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 18:42 »
And u can't ban on rpgbots anyways so what's the point of making dotabans apply with the rpgbots?

Is it so big deal if someone with spoofer can play? Is it big deal enough to make dozens of people not to be able to play laggless custom games? Is it big deal enough to not greatly increase the popularity of rpgbots? Is it big deal enough to get kicked from rpgbot without even knowing why?

Or maybe you could improve the spoofing system somehow, but the current rpgbot spoofcheck system is seriously unbearable..

Offline MyUberNick

• Founder
  • WickedSick Member
  • Awards Lagabuse Legend LA High Staff [EPIC] MVP Member [LEGENDARY] LA Ladder #11-25 [EPIC]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 20:02 »
Let's say you are hosting pudge wars. You got lucky and it's full house pretty soon. Then you type .start. It pops up a messafe telling that 5 players are not yet spoofchécked. One of them spoofchecks, and you try to make the others understand that you can't start without spoofcheck, but they either spam "go", either because they are retarted or just can't understand english very good or because they are afking.

So I have to kick all four of them, and then either other people start calling me "retarted host" and leave or I won't get a new 4 players which can spoofcheck in 15 minutes..
First of all i think you are exaggerating the situation, i often played on rpgBOTs while other people hosted and i hosted myself and i didn't have a problem starting a game, pudge wars included.
Second if you think our spoof checking system is unbearable i suggest you go and take a look at default spoof checking system from GHost++. Our system is much faster and player friendly, it spoof checks normal valid players almost instantly. Also there is !sc command which tells you exactly how to spoof check. Furthermore message how to spoof check is written multiple times in the lobby, at the beginning when player joins and when you !start the game.

what's the point of making dotabans apply with the rpgbots?
Before everything else when you break a rule you should be punished, sharing bans is one way of accomplishing that.
Another reason of sharing is situation when user gets banned and makes a DotA game with rpgBOT, if he doesn't care about stats he can play as much as he wants and the ban has little to no effect.
Furthermore what when someone joins with name spoofer and for example with my ("MyUberNick") username and flames/spams/does w/e agains the rules and gets me banned. There is no way to tell that is not me playing in the game.

I'm not sure about this, but when a player (with name spoofer) joins a game, does the bot see his spoofed nick, or real nick?
If spoofcheck is disabled and bot sees the spoofed name, then a player that is banned on the bots, can join with everynick he wants.
Bot sees his spoofed nick, for example i could join the game with name spoofer program as player "ek0". Now I'm not ek0 but bot doesn't know that i am not ek0, that's the whole idea why there is spoof check, so bot can VERIFY whether i truly am ek0 or not, bot usually does this automatically in the background and in 99% of the cases there is no problem but sometimes it fails to do it automatically because of bnet so you need to whisper it with "sc" (is that so hard to understand???).

Offline ANGRY_TURKEY

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 13:49 »
First of all i think you are exaggerating the situation

Pudge Wars was a bad example, due to it being well known and played.

If you try to host some new map, it's almost impossible to get full house even without spoofcheck, but it is even more impossible if half of the players is required to spoofcheck and you have to kick them, the other half will start thinking "this ain't worth it, i go play some dota" or something, result being that you test the new map with one afking brasialian that leaves after five minutes of playing.

so you need to whisper it with "sc" (is that so hard to understand???).

Yes, it seems to be so hard to understand. Even more annoying is that when you try to make those who don't understand to understand, the others who don't understand (but are already spoofchecked), will grow impatient, spamming "host retard", "go pls", retard host GO OMG" and then leave soon after.

Fact is that very, very many of custom game players are of type described above.

bot usually does this automatically in the background and in 99% of the cases there is no problem but sometimes it fails to do it automatically because of bnet

Firstly, the percent is more like 50-80% (Usually 3-4 players need to spoofcheck when you first type .start), and secondly why can't the bot try again?

Okay, maybe it isn't so good idea to remove the spoofcheck entirely but please improve it somehow..
(btw command "/ping" shows all the player's real names, can't the bot use this as an advance?)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 13:52 by ANGRY_TURKEY »

Offline ek0

• Honored member
  • HolyShit Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 13:54 »
Okay, maybe it isn't so good idea to remove the spoofcheck entirely but please improve it somehow..
(btw command "/ping" shows all the player's real names, can't the bot use this as an advance?)
Good suggestion.

Offline MyUberNick

• Founder
  • WickedSick Member
  • Awards Lagabuse Legend LA High Staff [EPIC] MVP Member [LEGENDARY] LA Ladder #11-25 [EPIC]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 16:02 »
why can't the bot try again?
Bot uses bnet /whereis <name> command to spoof check, sometimes /whereis gets stuck and returns the wrong /whereis message to the bot (i don't know why it sometimes returns wrong /whereis) and keeps returning wrong /whereis as long as player is in the lobby. So you see if bot tries to spoof check again it will send /whereis command again and /whereis will return the same wrong response as it did the first time so it's no use to try spoof checking again.

I tried the /ping command today with name spoofer, it indeed does show real name but it doesn't show the complete list of players in lobby so you can't really use it. When i used it, it was showing random names and sometimes only my name.

You can use /ping [player name] too but when you you use it in lobby it can return the ping of a player which is not in the lobby, player only needs to be online for /ping to work on his name when used from lobby so you can't use that for spoof checking either.

Offline Resor

• Honored member
  • HolyShit Member
  • Leader of -Clan FEED-
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 18:20 »
If its simple /whereis <name> could it be possible to do it manualy by host? Waiting for someone who dont understand what spoofcheck is, can be annoyng for all in lobby.
So many times its easier to just !open slot instead of explainig.

Offline ANGRY_TURKEY

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 20:00 »
/ping has something to do with the bot,  because it ALWAYS shows every player if you host manually (try it).

Playdota.eu bot is based on the ghost++, right? The source code isn't made by you guys, and I believe that there is a part in it to alter normal battle.net commands, such as /ping and /whereis, maybe just to protect privacy of the players/bot's owner.

I base my theory on that with any bot, it's impossible for a normal player to check in the game/lobby if another player is spoofing or not, it can only be done with the bot's functions. Unlike in the manually hosted games where you can just type /whereis (that doesn't return "<player> is playing frozen throne", but the real location) or /ping for a full list of players.

I also think that the bot allows you to see only those pings which belong to player that has joined after you. Thus, the bot would be able to see them all, though that would reset when the game is pubbed...

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 20:13 by ANGRY_TURKEY »

Offline lmjai

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 17:33 »
If a banned doter doesn't care about stats he can just use another name, it's very easy to make a new acocunt! I say the best thing to do here is to remove the sc and bans stuff from custom games (not dota) so I can play my island defense. Also (I'm not 100% sure of this last thing, maybe it's a bnet bug) the bot sometimes decides not to let join people based on their country or that have too long nickname.
Sorry if I'm going off-topic with this.

Offline MyUberNick

• Founder
  • WickedSick Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 17:53 »
Spoof checking won't be removed, ban sharing won't be removed, reasons why you can find in the posts above.

the bot sometimes decides not to let join people based on their country or that have too long nickname.
Sorry if I'm going off-topic with this.
Host bot will not let you to join the game if you got a user name with more than 15 characters which should be impossible on BNET since you can't create a user name with more than 15 characters in the first place.

We don't do any kind of filtering or banning by nationality, if players from some countries can't join games it could be a problem with their ISP like in the recent case with some players from Croatia and other Balkan countries.

http://playdota.eu/forum/index.php/topic,4735.0.html

Offline rocknrolla

• Pro Member
  • Awards Invoker 1v1 Tournament Winner [RARE] 1v1 ARSHOM [RARE] 5v5 Night Cup Winner [EPIC]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 20:39 »
Sometimes when I create with rpgbots, it automatically tells me to spoof check by replying to it's message, using /r sc .. can u make it so that it does this to all players all the time, not just for host ?