Author Topic: PSR system - not so great :/  (Read 13410 times)

Offline LecitinTT

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: PSR system - not so great :/
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2011, 17:17 »
well psr, the way points are calculated are simply WRONG. That's one of the reasons i stopped playin on this server, it just doesn't make sense. It is important that:

1. The one with low pts gain more/lose less
2. The one with high pts gain less/lose more.
3. if not 1,2 then all teammates should gain/lose same points
4. !psr with that probability thing doesn't make any sense. Worst way of using probability.

I'll explain why. Players will high stats will tend to play with player with high stats, if they play with low pts players they can lose lots of points and it's not so fun to play against noobs.

Players who started a few weeks later will be able gain points without problem. Have you seen players who has 18/9 score with all pro games and they still have 1550 pts? This doesn't make sense at all. Coz every time they join game they hve +10/-20, and players with high stats have +1/0 stats.

The idea is good, but calculations make no sense.

Offline LecitinTT

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2011, 17:19 »
and i know what i'm talkin about, i got 1773 pts in this season.

Offline victornkc

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2011, 17:29 »
think  of it this way. U have 1700 psr but ur team's average psr is only 1550. this would mean that u are better than ur team mates. also this means that if u loose it's more likely to be their fault cause they have less psr. hence when u loose, u dont get a penalty that heavy since u have high psr = less likely the game was lost because of u. so the noober ones gets more psr taken away from them.

in the case that if u win. u have to check your enemy team's PSR. if their psr is 1550 and u have 1700. it means u fought against a noob team. that's why u dont gain as much psr as u would have wanted. if u fought against a team with 1700 PSR and u wont u'll gain more PSR cause they're just about at ur level. also... the noobs in your team will get a massive PSR boost if they have defeated a 1700 PSR team because they have a much less chance of winning.

not sure if i even know what i'm talking about at some point :D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 17:33 by victornkc »

Offline LecitinTT

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2011, 17:49 »
ye, that's a good side of this system (since not many points are lost ^^). The thing is u right, coz it is intuitive and makes sense. On practice it's different. Consider this game:

http://playdota.eu/stats/game/1705581/apeu-pros-1

Scourges average is high (1670), sentinels (1620). Sherwood still doesn't gain any point, even he won stronger team with "weaker players".  He would lose 0, but still he doesnt gain any point.

Offline LecitinTT

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2011, 17:51 »
And poor pudge lost 17 points, even if he was playing against same lvl players, it's not his fault then :). And even did better than his teammates...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 18:10 by LecitinTT »

Offline victornkc

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2011, 18:22 »
ye poor pudge lost alot cause pd.eu recognise ur skills using ur psr and not ur actual gameplay kill/death... i think that's one of the flaws of the system.. that it doesnt take into account of ur gameplay or k/d/a of a particular game... some feeders 'won' and get points even when the whole team wants in out at some point in mid game... maybe PSR should also take into account of ur k/d/a ratios in a game not just win and loose.

some cases like this :
http://playdota.eu/stats/game/1626407/etf
 for the ancient apparition... u actually feel that he did really well and not deserve a penalty for loosing cause it's the teammate's fault...

Offline Spacehunter

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2011, 18:41 »
But it doesnt matter. In half games your teammates suck in half the opponent team suck. So it evens out.

The only thing wrong with psr at the moment is wrongly calculated win/lose %. One problem but BIG problem. I know it is hard to get it right, but it could easyly at least be less wrong. Maybe they are working on optimizing i dont know.

I am angry though on not making all rules for calculating public or even for draw and suck thing lol. If i wasnt old enough to restrain myself. I WOULD SPAM WHOLE FORUM WITH DEMANDS TO MAKE ALL PUBLIC. Fuckers. :)

Offline LecitinTT

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2011, 03:35 »
it matters a lot, change the system next season :/

Offline Dustbuster

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2011, 22:36 »
Finnaly ppl are seeing the flaws of this "system"...

Also - that's stupid - if u have high PSR and u're teamates lower than u, and u played like shit, had a bad game, d/c'ed or whatever, u will loose little points while teammates suffer a lot...
Easy thing to do= play some unbalanced games, win, get a high psr, then u will loose little if u lost a game....

if all games here were "same teams" then this system is good. U are 1 unit - 1 team. the problem is that its NOT. 5v5 usually all random, besides 2,3 mayb that play together.
the !balance can't seperate good players from bad, and most likely u'll have unbalanced team (also psr is "balanced")

Offline LecitinTT

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2011, 22:46 »
the worst thing is that ppl believe that !balance will actually balance.

1. it can't really balance according to skill
2. after balance players with high psr get +0/-0 points or +1/-1, so it encourages playing unbalanced games with teammates.

Offline sh3rwood

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2011, 17:00 »
ye, that's a good side of this system (since not many points are lost ^^). The thing is u right, coz it is intuitive and makes sense. On practice it's different. Consider this game:

http://playdota.eu/stats/game/1705581/apeu-pros-1

Scourges average is high (1670), sentinels (1620). Sherwood still doesn't gain any point, even he won stronger team with "weaker players".  He would lose 0, but still he doesnt gain any point.

yes...i saw that too i played against players with good psr, but my team averagae psr was low, i remember that game....i received 0 points:D:)))

Offline sh3rwood

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2011, 17:03 »
and the problem is that when i enter any random public games...the host is using !balance....and i get ofc 0 points....lecitin is right the idea is wonderfull just the calculating system not really :)

Offline LecitinTT

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2011, 16:13 »
and the problem is that when i enter any random public games...the host is using !balance....and i get ofc 0 points....lecitin is right the idea is wonderfull just the calculating system not really :)

i have same problem, after balance i get +0/-0 or +1/-0

Offline Tilgor

• Newbie Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2011, 13:47 »
I think PSR is really great system. Now people take good heroes to team fights, there is less stealing. Old games looks like that: 3 late heroes (because they get kills) and 2 nukes (because they can easy steal), noone take tank, because he got assist or any type of support hero because they dont get almost any kill and few assist. Now games looks much more PRO

Offline Domagoj

• Pro Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2011, 14:09 »
I think PSR is really great system. Now people take good heroes to team fights, there is less stealing. Old games looks like that: 3 late heroes (because they get kills) and 2 nukes (because they can easy steal), noone take tank, because he got assist or any type of support hero because they dont get almost any kill and few assist. Now games looks much more PRO

That is the good part, but the bad part is how its calculated. I also thought that its perfect at the beginning, but now im beginning to see its flaws. If a better formula was used to calculate +/- psr, then it would be great.