Author Topic: News section on forum  (Read 2587 times)

Offline luke

• ~evil~
  • Contributor
  • MonsterKill Member
  • Topic Author
  • Server Account: FatAndViolent
    PSR: Loading
    Games: Loading
    Wins/Loses: Loading/Loading
    Hero K/D/A: Loading
    Creep K/D/N: Loading
    Show/hide more stats
  • Awards Warlock Tour Winner [RARE] Pudge Wars Tournament Winner [RARE] Hacks staff member [RARE] Shadow Raze Tour Award [RARE] Best B&U mod of the month 3 times in a row [EPIC] 3rd Place Admins Cup [EPIC] Uther Party Tournament Winner [COMMON]
    • View Profile
    • My channel
    • Awards
News section on forum
« on: June 16, 2020, 19:47 »
I think it looks weird because when new text appears it changes size and moves the other content.

- Can news section have constant size?
- Can the text appear asap and not after a delay?

Also noticed this news: "Do you want to see your name here, donate"

See your name where? I think better to say something like "Want to have colored name, stats resets and other benefits? Donate"

Offline Akuma

• HolyShit Member
  • Awards Making 50 bets in Footbal Betting [COMMON] Winner of 1 Photoshop Challenge Contest [COMMON] Jungle Race Tour Winner [RARE] Winner of 5 Uther Party Tours Castle Fight Winner [RARE] Shadow Raze Tour Award [RARE] Junior Tournament Member [RARE] MadBalls Tournament Winner [RARE]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: News section on forum
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 10:04 »
I think that "news section" is a complete garbage and it should be removed. Instead just display patreon supporters somewhere to honor their donations.

The other option would be - having some actual news and updating this "news section" at least weekly. News should be something new, having some information displayed there which happened a while ago and being displayed for a while is no "news".
Also displaying full patreon supporters list there is no "news". (Could be written like "new patreon supporter: <nickname>" and staying there for a week tops.)

Current admins at least keep it updated much more than previous, I remember  efko having "tournaments ladder coming soon" for a year in news section, and it never arrived, also it was completely unrelated.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 14:14 by ksv »
I was confused with this, and it was not only once, but it happens from time to time to /w wrong bot. If it was changed to la-custom or custom-la everyone would understand why is like that. But like this you must to read on forum to understand, even if you don't understand..

Offline tehnika8x8

• techies respawn
  • V.I.P Affairs
  • WickedSick Member
  • Awards LA High Staff [EPIC] Winner of 1 Signature of the Week Contest [COMMON] Winning 5 seasons of Football Betting [LEGENDARY] Forum staff member [RARE] LA staff - Moderator Winner of 1 Photoshop Challenge Contest [COMMON] GFX Tournament Participant [COMMON] Contributor [COMMON] Winner of 3 Challenges of the Week [RARE] VIP Member [EPIC] Highest number of credits won with a betting ticket [UNIQUE] Making 50 bets in Footbal Betting [COMMON]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 01:15 »
The other option would be - having some actual news and updating this "news section" at least weekly. News should be something new, having some information displayed there which happened a while ago and being displayed for a while is no "news".
Also displaying full patreon supporters list there is no "news". (Could be written like "new patreon supporter: <nickname>" and staying there for a week tops.)
Not necessarily for a week but I agree. And maybe this list could be here, if can?

Offline Akuma

• HolyShit Member
  • Awards Making 50 bets in Footbal Betting [COMMON] Winner of 1 Photoshop Challenge Contest [COMMON] Jungle Race Tour Winner [RARE] Winner of 5 Uther Party Tours Castle Fight Winner [RARE] Shadow Raze Tour Award [RARE] Junior Tournament Member [RARE] MadBalls Tournament Winner [RARE]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 03:03 »
Not necessarily for a week but I agree. And maybe this list could be here, if can?

Let's inspect the current setup, I'll use current news.

Think of it this way, major updates and generally major things are already announced in global announcements, global topics, as they should probably remain to be seen longer, so basically no need to be longer than a week or two on "news". They are already as easily accessible as possible.

Patreon supporters list should be placed somewhere, and it should be placed in a visible location, the one you suggest is a nice one, although I think it should be above "latest accounts" (which are another completely useless information, but they can provide some fake impression that there are people coming to server daily, so I'd let them remain).
Same goes for the winner (you can announce your winners as a news why not) season ended a while ago, it's not news anymore.

Also why is support us on patreon in "news". And there is a much bigger banner saying exactly same thing just a couple of milimiters above.

Maybe weekly is over optimistic, but twice a month something happens I guess, that would be fine as well to use news section to actually bring news to players. Ideally would obviously be to have any daily news but I know this is impossible, twice a month however is quite realistic.

Shortly, please use news section for actual and fresh news, or remove it..
I was confused with this, and it was not only once, but it happens from time to time to /w wrong bot. If it was changed to la-custom or custom-la everyone would understand why is like that. But like this you must to read on forum to understand, even if you don't understand..

Offline Akuma

• HolyShit Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 03:23 »
I kinda missed
Now you can use !lobbies command to display current open lobbies with the game name, number of slots and players' names.
bit this is what I'm talking about, this is news, I didnt pay attention so not sure for how long it's there, but this is the kind thing that should be in this section.

Offline luke

• ~evil~
  • Contributor
  • MonsterKill Member
  • Topic Author
  • Server Account: FatAndViolent
    PSR: Loading
    Games: Loading
    Wins/Loses: Loading/Loading
    Hero K/D/A: Loading
    Creep K/D/N: Loading
    Show/hide more stats
  • Awards Warlock Tour Winner [RARE] Pudge Wars Tournament Winner [RARE] Hacks staff member [RARE] Shadow Raze Tour Award [RARE] Best B&U mod of the month 3 times in a row [EPIC] 3rd Place Admins Cup [EPIC] Uther Party Tournament Winner [COMMON]
    • View Profile
    • My channel
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 13:01 »

Agree, i would put patreon list here.

provide some fake impression that there are people coming to server daily

Idk, if you check stats there are 120+ games daily, much more than in past

Also why is support us on patreon in "news". And there is a much bigger banner saying exactly same thing just a couple of milimiters above.

Maybe if we have their list where tehnika said, wont be needed.

I think that "news section" is a complete garbage and it should be removed. Instead just display patreon supporters somewhere to honor their donations.

:y:

Shortly, please use news section for actual and fresh news, or remove it..

Agree, many news are in announcements and news section as it is now is pretty annoying in this form.