Author Topic: There was an error writing to your hard drive..[SOLVED]  (Read 931 times)

Offline 811

• Advanced Member
  • Topic Author
  • Awards Pudge Wars Tournament Winner [RARE] Mirana Wars Winner [RARE] Uther Party Tournament Winner [COMMON]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Hey guys its been some time I havent logged on and got the new patch via installer.Now I have two problems ;

1.Important one - cant log onto battle.net cuz of writing to hard drive error.I tried these last night but didnt work;

- Changing Warcraft 3 folders Read-only ( via cmd attrib command )
- Editing permissions ( It looks like I have full control )
- Reinstalling
- Running everything on administrator
- Checked if I had any non-ascii characters on my file path and pc username ( not sure if i did it right ) my username is MetehanPC

2nd problem : Migration thing , just annoying.tried creating / removing files on documents , manually migrating , still persists.

By the way I downloaded full game from installer.Any suggestions I can try?

Edit : screenshot attached
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 22:40 by 811 »

Offline cen

• Eurobattle.net Admin
  • WickedSick Member
  • Lok'tar Ogar
  • Awards Lagabuse Legend LA High Staff [EPIC] MadBalls Tournament Winner [RARE] MVP Member [LEGENDARY]
    • View Profile
    • EuroBattle.net
    • Awards
Re: There was an error writing to your hard drive..
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 20:43 »
Well.. looks like you tried it all, I don't really have any advice unless you let me take a look personally. What OS do you use?

Offline 811

• Advanced Member
  • Topic Author
  • Awards Pudge Wars Tournament Winner [RARE] Mirana Wars Winner [RARE] Uther Party Tournament Winner [COMMON]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 20:47 »
I use unregistered windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, I thought I have faced all possible problems while trying to play warcraft for years and solved them lol :)

Can you look into it personally ? I maybe made a mistake while applying the solutions.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 20:52 by 811 »

Offline Astaroth

• Satan Admin
  • Honored member
  • GodLike Member
  • Blood for the Blood God!
  • Awards Forum staff member [RARE]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 21:32 »
Just a quick thoughs:
1) The file that is being downloaded may try to be saved outside of W3 folder. So giving the program all permisions to W3 folder may not be enough. But running it as admin should solve it. So I guess this is dead end.

2) I'm sorry, but I'll have to try (from personal experience): Do you have a free space on your HDD?

3) I've recently encountered a similar problem at my work: Not having enough space on hard drive. I found out that my temp folder was set to other partition of the HDD.
Check it (sorry, I don't have my Windows in English, but you should be able to find it):
Right click on Computer, Properties, Advanced system settings (at the left side), Advanced tab, Enviromental Variables and here make sure your TEMP and TMP are on a HDD with enough space.

4) If you can, install W3 to different HDD or different partition.

Signature by Rocka

Offline 811

• Advanced Member
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 21:50 »
ust a quick thoughs:
1) The file that is being downloaded may try to be saved outside of W3 folder. So giving the program all permisions to W3 folder may not be enough. But running it as admin should solve it. So I guess this is dead end.

If administrator doesnt have full control that wouldnt solve it.I think that was the idea when I searched online last night.

2) I'm sorry, but I'll have to try (from personal experience): Do you have a free space on your HDD?
I have 400 gb free space

3) I've recently encountered a similar problem at my work: Not having enough space on hard drive. I found out that my temp folder was set to other partition of the HDD.
Check it (sorry, I don't have my Windows in English, but you should be able to find it):
Right click on Computer, Properties, Advanced system settings (at the left side), Advanced tab, Enviromental Variables and here make sure your TEMP and TMP are on a HDD with enough space.

I just checked this.My temp folder is like 90 mb.So thats not it I guess.Thanks for a new try.

4) If you can, install W3 to different HDD or different partition.
I have only one partition.However , I tried reinstalling it in Program Files after installing it on Program files (x86) for the first time.Do you think that could cause an issue? ( me using 64 bit ). I dont think its my HDD because every other application can write things?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 21:55 by 811 »

Offline 811

• Advanced Member
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: There was an error writing to your hard drive..[SOLVED]
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 22:40 »
I solved it by reinstalling again , using an older version of w3  ( 1.26 ) and then ran the installer to fully download the 1.28.5 patch.I had a hunch that it was too messed up because I remember changing some files like w3l.exe and some other important stuff.User data migration complete too.

Also I installed both xpam and war3 on Program Files insted of Program Files(x86)

I am not sure which one solved it and why lol.Anyway thanks for answers.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 22:43 by 811 »

Offline Astaroth

• Satan Admin
  • Honored member
  • GodLike Member
  • Blood for the Blood God!
  • Awards Forum staff member [RARE]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: There was an error writing to your hard drive..[SOLVED]
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 23:19 »
Glad you found the solution!

Signature by Rocka

Offline Silver

• Retired Moderator
  • WickedSick Member
  • Awards Trumpeter- Music Quiz #3 [COMMON] Winner of 1 Photoshop Challenge Contest [COMMON] Winner of 1 Photo Manipulation Contest [COMMON] Shadow Raze Tour Award [RARE] Junior Tournament Member [RARE] MadBalls Tournament Winner [RARE] GFX staff member [RARE] Tours staff member [RARE] Forum staff member [RARE] Patreon Supporter [RARE] Pudge Wars Tournament Winner [RARE] Uther Party Tournament Winner [COMMON]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
@811 Nice find but next time try not to install to C:\ especially if you have SSD or run many programs. The default paths can get mixed up due to "requesting admin access" that doesn't even pop-up and you have to do manual work.