Author Topic: Need ideas  (Read 5029 times)

Offline Natura Sonoris

• Honored member
  • HolyShit Member
  • Topic Author
  • Alternating Current
  • Awards Forum staff member [RARE] GFX staff member [RARE] Pudge Wars Tournament Winner [RARE]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Need ideas
« on: February 20, 2013, 18:02 »
Hello people  :)

Because we noticed lack of activity on forum , staff wants to know what you would like to see.

I already know that you would like shoutbox , but it is not possible for everyone to have access to it , but ''maybe'' only few active members could get access to it. I was thinking about alternative , opening NON post count section named Spammers club (child board of Offtopic) where i would open 1 sticky topic where you can post whatever want ( no cursing is allowed , forum rules still aplly ) , but only spam is allowed.In other words , you could skip from topic to topic , stay on one subject for days or whatever you like.But , you would not get posts for it , because it is too much for someone to post 100 replies and gets 100 post count that easy.

Second thing is adding some forum games (it is upto you to suggest some) we can open a poll for voting ,but you need to write how game can be played on forum with none abusing the rules of it ( so everyone is equal )

And also , some members who are active and post interesting topics could get some forum title Forum Spammers Crew with some funny icon from dota like techies or w/e.Maybe those people could even get access to shoutbox , because atm staff is only using it , but is barely active because most staff discussions are on skype today.

In behalf of LA Staff  :)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 18:05 by Icy »

Offline Mr.BoNe

• Another Guy..
  • Retired Moderator
  • WickedSick Member
  • Future History
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Need ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 18:06 »
Good job Icy,maybe people will be more interested now since they will have motivation (icon or something)  :D

Offline LEGEN-WAIT-DARY

• Secret Agent
  • Success is falling nine times and getting up ten.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 19:38 »
1 idea no need.
2idea is my idea i posted it days ago and it should be realized.
3idea yea its cool too and with the shoutbox..I should get the icon xDDDDD
So 2-3 are useful 1st idea useless:-) GL 
Always look on the bright side of life.
You will find your way.

Offline div.ide

• Honored member
  • WickedSick Member
  • Awards Winner of 1 Challenge of the Week [COMMON] Forum staff member [RARE] Drummer - Music Quiz #2 [RARE] Trumpeter- Music Quiz #3 [COMMON]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 19:42 »
If you want shoutbox working in public, you'll have to indeed restrict access to it, in case, say, someone would feel like it's an awesome joke to make some more acounts and flood it, or go ballistic over staff because his unban request was unanswered for entire 5 minutes etc. I don't think, however, making it some sort of elite hand-picked group is necessary, you can just stick to postcount restriction (100? 200, if you feel paraoid?), as this comunity is small enough anyway. Just make sure you have means of moderating it if necessary, and some reasonable message quota.

Spam board... Well, that sounds little desperate to me (sorry), but if you think it can help redirecting some spam from other places, it won't hurt to try.

I'm lookin forward to forum games with little dose of skepticism. There are some of them scattered all over the place already (thinking of quizzes mosly, though GFX contests might count as well), but unfortuntely  most are doing pretty medicore at best. Idea sounds good, but I don't expect it to be a big success in long run (still hoping I'm wrong!). Anyway, you can take 2 paths there:

1. More quiz-like games (or simply contests), which might take more effort to organize, and be more brain-stimulating, but if they don't exceed current level of interest towards quizzes, will proaby die quite quickly

2. More leisure games (things like "make a story, adding only 3 words per post", "describe person above you", or even plain dumb "Let's count to million" etc.), which take probably less effort and can possibly run just fine, but are more prone to turn into pointess spamfests.

Icons are up to you, these and +PSR seem to work like a charm (for tours at least), in terms of attracting people.
01010111 01100101 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100100 01101111 01101110 01100101 00101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110010 01100100 00101110

Offline kingW3

• Partimanijak
  • Retired Moderator
  • MonsterKill Member
  • Awards GFX staff member [RARE]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 19:53 »
The example of the second path game http://lagabuse.com/forum/index.php/topic,64613.0.html
Anyway both can succeed if there are some kind of awards or some new people,with this much people we can't do anything.The Music Quiz is barley running,and the Can you solve these riddles had a 3,4 day revive and died again...

Offline Rio^

• Need help? PM!
  • Awards Winner of 1 Signature of the Week Contest [COMMON] Winner of 1 Photoshop Challenge Contest [COMMON]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 20:39 »
Public chat (flash optional)
Seperated rooms for user with higher posts, ranks (without options to create manually chat room)
Chat icons/ranks
Integrated with forum account ofcorse
Put FAQ in top main menu
Game topics
Slideshow with user GFX works on main page
Upload section where users can upload their media files or GFX works. (was before, not worked on that)
Maybe footer chat (like fb) but only for ppl in your friend list, that wont overload server. (PM's old system)

Offline 1st_night_fury

• View Profile
    • DotaDiscussion
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 23:10 »

Offline jeandarc

• Administrator
  • HolyShit Member
  • Server Account: jeandarc
    PSR: Loading
    Games: Loading
    Wins/Loses: Loading/Loading
    Hero K/D/A: Loading
    Creep K/D/N: Loading
    Show/hide more stats
  • Awards Lagabuse Legend Winner of 1 Challenge of the Week [COMMON] Winning 3 seasons of Football Betting [EPIC] GFX Tournament Participant [COMMON] Making 50 bets in Footbal Betting [COMMON] GFX staff member [RARE] Winner of 1 Signature of the Week Contest [COMMON] LA Ladder #11-25 [EPIC] 1v1 Earthshaker Tournament Winner [RARE] 1v1 Queen of Pain Tour Winner [RARE] Winner of 5 ShadowRaze Tours [LEGENDARY] Mirana Wars Winner [RARE] Pudge 1v1 Tournament Winner [RARE] Invoker Wars Tournament [RARE] 1v1 AR Tour Winner [RARE] Pudge Wars Tournament Winner [RARE] 2v2 SHOM Tournament Winner [RARE] Uther Party Tournament Winner [COMMON] MadBalls Tournament Winner [RARE] Junior Tournament Member [RARE]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 00:00 »
+1 icy, I like your idea, even tho spamming seems pointless w/o post count (j/k).

So... the plan is to make a plan?

Offline Astaroth

• Satan Admin
  • Honored member
  • GodLike Member
  • Blood for the Blood God!
  • Awards Forum staff member [RARE]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 00:15 »
So... the plan is to make a plan?
Imo it is always good first step  :)

Signature by Rocka

Offline Rio^

• Need help? PM!
  • Awards Winner of 1 Signature of the Week Contest [COMMON] Winner of 1 Photoshop Challenge Contest [COMMON]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 10:22 »
i wont open new topic in feedback because this is top topic about new ideas.
this is about  " Who's Online " . every time when i want to see who is online (after log in), i must click Show - " Members only ". can someone set " Members only " to default , and as optional " Guests only   &   Everyone" ? who care about guests? everyone want to see some member actions, not guests...

Why do u care about someone's actions? -.- It's optional, they can set it in CP, but who cares if someone is visiting my profile, reading when I'm writting messages, etc...

Better idea is making friend sections, where u can only see your friends when they're online. About those people I care, not who's looking what am I doing.

Offline Rio^

• Need help? PM!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 15:29 »
i wont open new topic in feedback because this is top topic about new ideas.
this is about  " Who's Online " . every time when i want to see who is online (after log in), i must click Show - " Members only ". can someone set " Members only " to default , and as optional " Guests only   &   Everyone" ? who care about guests? everyone want to see some member actions, not guests...

1. Why do u care about someone's actions? -.- It's optional, they can set it in CP, but who cares if someone is visiting my profile, reading when I'm writting messages, etc...

2. Better idea is making friend sections, where u can only see your friends when they're online. About those people I care, not who's looking what am I doing.
1. you can see many things if you watching someone's online activity.
2. friend list already exist and you can see if someone is online - Profile  //  Modify Profile  // Buddies/Ignore List

Like what? What's so important that u need to know someone's doing list? That's private, and it should be.

Offline lucky..strike

• The Ban & Unban Dinosaur
  • Retired Moderator
  • HolyShit Member
  • I will be heard !
  • Awards Winner of 1 Photoshop Challenge Contest [COMMON] Pudge Wars Tournament Winner [RARE]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 15:38 »
@Rio - Lol private ...U can ALREADY see what other ppl do here ,by just clicking on "who's online" ...Don't see anything private there ...
And one more thing - Stop arguing with everyone , and try to write/reply normally ...

"Give me your broken, give me your beaten. I will build them up, I will lead them -To the threshold!"                                                 

Offline Rio^

• Need help? PM!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 16:22 »
@Rio - Lol private ...U can ALREADY see what other ppl do here ,by just clicking on "who's online" ...Don't see anything private there ...
And one more thing - Stop arguing with everyone , and try to write/reply normally ...

Obviously u dont get it. "THAT SHOULD BE PRIVATE!"  Why tha fuck someone should know what r u doing and stick their nose in your business? That's normally, if you're normal person.

Tell me what rule I break when I argue with someone? :O Forum is for that. Don't quote me like I care about your posting. I said that's stupid, and I stand for that, beacuse it is.

Offline Natura Sonoris

• Honored member
  • HolyShit Member
  • Topic Author
  • Alternating Current
  • Awards Forum staff member [RARE] GFX staff member [RARE] Pudge Wars Tournament Winner [RARE]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 17:03 »
If you want shoutbox working in public, you'll have to indeed restrict access to it, in case, say, someone would feel like it's an awesome joke to make some more acounts and flood it, or go ballistic over staff because his unban request was unanswered for entire 5 minutes etc. I don't think, however, making it some sort of elite hand-picked group is necessary, you can just stick to postcount restriction (100? 200, if you feel paraoid?), as this comunity is small enough anyway. Just make sure you have means of moderating it if necessary, and some reasonable message quota.

I was thinking  Hero Member can have automatic access to shoutbox.Thats 500 posts restriction and i would set 500 because it takes time to post 500 posts and it means you will spend longer on forum , anyone can post 250 posts with ease.

Spam board... Well, that sounds little desperate to me (sorry), but if you think it can help redirecting some spam from other places, it won't hurt to try.

Some topics are filled with spam and it is not necessery , that's why i would open it.Also other reason is , it worked better than expected on much smaller community (we had 10,20 active people in spam section and they were chatting about pointless things ) and still other topics were filled as well.

1. More quiz-like games (or simply contests), which might take more effort to organize, and be more brain-stimulating, but if they don't exceed current level of interest towards quizzes, will proaby die quite quickly

Quon did best there , but unfortunetly , he left the forum.We need someone who can post those quizzes but with no math related , most of people here are lazy to calculate xD

2. More leisure games (things like "make a story, adding only 3 words per post", "describe person above you", or even plain dumb "Let's count to million" etc.), which take probably less effort and can possibly run just fine, but are more prone to turn into pointess spamfests.

I do not like those kinds of games but those could be included in spam section.

Icons are up to you, these and +PSR seem to work like a charm (for tours at least), in terms of attracting people.

I was thinking about people getting some extra karma or lovering negative one for certain things , some guys care about it ( i personally dont ) so thats one way of award.Second is some award icons also for certain things , but i need to think about it more , to see what that can be.

Public chat (flash optional)
Seperated rooms for user with higher posts, ranks (without options to create manually chat room)

Public chat without restrictions won't happen.For second one , best ''spammers'' and people who put their effort on forum could get that rank i spoke about and if i can manage it properly , they could get option to change custom title whenever they want , making hidden chats has no point in this moment.

Put FAQ in top main menu

Maybe FAQ can be set to be more visible , still not upto me.

Slideshow with user GFX works on main page

Forum will stick to minimalist design , nothing fancy.

Upload section where users can upload their media files or GFX works. (was before, not worked on that)
Maybe footer chat (like fb) but only for ppl in your friend list, that wont overload server. (PM's old system)

Media center is out , it was too bugy and admins decided to remove it for good.Also PM system and ''public'' chat will do just fine.

Not point of this discussion.

Offline Astaroth

• Satan Admin
  • Honored member
  • GodLike Member
  • Blood for the Blood God!
  • Awards Forum staff member [RARE]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 17:16 »
I like that "make a story, adding only 3 words per post".

Actually we had that, it got tens of pages within few days, it was funny (especially with joyjoy) I really lol'd. It got deleted ofc, pure spam and free posts.

Signature by Rocka