Author Topic: Elliminate ping spikes on wireless connection  (Read 2076 times)

Offline rexxar_bear

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Elliminate ping spikes on wireless connection
« on: August 17, 2012, 15:47 »
At the moment I have wireless connection on laptop cause the network board died.

I usually have below 100 ping, but I have spikes when ping rises above 100, getting me autokicked in lobby. If I think of it from 7 games out of 8 I get kicked in lobby for the ping spike.

In game I have no trouble whatsoever, do lag, no delay.

Except for hosting my own games, how can u get rid of those ping spikes ? I even tried moving my router a few cm from laptop and still same ping, only dl speed improved.

Offline detective_conan

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Elliminate ping spikes on wireless connection
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 15:49 »
try to ask the host to hold you by typing !hold (username) that way you wont be autokicked from lobby

Offline rexxar_bear

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 14:04 »
Yeah, I can do that, but no host will ever hold you when he sees your ping sky rockets in lobby, and explaining its just a spike and it will no away isn't helping. Well, except maybe if the host is your friend, and my friends play only orpgs, not dota.

I tried hosting my own games, be host to prevent being autokicked by excessive pings. But I still get kicked in lobby.  :o Very frustrating.

Any other ideas ? Ye I could buy a new pc and switch to ''wire'' internet but for now that isn't a solution.

Offline rexxar_bear

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 14:11 »
I tried the hold command on myself and still i'm being kicked, wtf ?

Offline donjacrtasamir

• WickedSick Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 15:18 »

Except for hosting my own games, how can u get rid of those ping spikes ? I even tried moving my router a few cm from laptop and still same ping, only dl speed improved.

try to move him a few meters , not cm...
If your frightened of dying, and your holding on. You'll see devils tearing your life away but if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels,... Freeing you from the earth

Offline rexxar_bear

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 14:16 »
I did moved router to random position across the room, same ping.

I tried hosting today a game, I typed !start f, countdown timer freezed at 7, and I waited like 1 min with that frozen screen, after witch the game returned me to battlenet menu.

Any other ideas ?

Offline vaikiss

• MonsterKill Member
  • Imbalanced Gaming 4 Life
  • Awards Rubick Tournament Winner Admiral Tournament Winner [RARE] 1v1 Windrunner Tour Winner [RARE] 1v1 AR Tour Winner [RARE] 5v5 Night Cup Winner [EPIC] 1v1 Nevermore Tour Winner [RARE] Best Couple (2v2) Tour Winner [RARE] Troll Madness Winner [UNIQUE] Footman Tour Winner Award [RARE]
    • View Profile
    • QuakeLive-Best Fps EVAH!
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 14:20 »
got 1 awesome idea

don't play dota on fcking laptop..

God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Offline cv_promode_1

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 16:06 »
got 1 awesome idea

don't play dota on fcking laptop..

Considering the fact you somehow see the core of the problem in a laptop while connected to wi-fi and having spikes in game, while suggesting to play Dota on PC, I probalby shouldn't bother to reply at this at all, but still:

- I haven't met a person unable to play Dota (a game running on almost 11 years old engine) due to old hardware. Everyone I met could install and play dota, low, medium or high detail, you name it. The discussion wether or not the PC is better than Laptop (or the other way) is for different discussion tho, imho it depends on each other's preferences. I play Dota on laptop since I began with it and never felt like playing it on the PC next to me. Mostly because I have my laptop with me 99% of the time.

- i don't know about the audience, but durability of motherboards on PCs and laptops (from my own experience) are in huuuge favor for laptops. I know lots of ppl and if someone's motherboard waltzes into the Silicon heaven, 90% of those are from PCs. I had to switch motherboard on my laptops like once on last 7 years. My ex-roommate and friend with pimped PC? Every goddamn year (mostly during christmass, not funny :) )

At the moment I have wireless connection on laptop cause the network board died.

I usually have below 100 ping, but I have spikes when ping rises above 100, getting me autokicked in lobby. If I think of it from 7 games out of 8 I get kicked in lobby for the ping spike.

In game I have no trouble whatsoever, do lag, no delay.

Try this, it helped me with ping issue I had on my laptop while connected thru wi-fi:
- according the type of laptop you have, turn off every manufacturer's additional driver (f.e.: Lenovo's Access Connections)
- right-click This Computer
- in Device manager, find Network adapters and find the name of your Wi-fi card, right-click and -> Properties
- in that wi-fi card's Properties, find Advanced tab and there look for Wireless Mode field, there should be something like
802.11 a only
802.11 b only
802.11 g only
- choose "B" or "G" only, see which one works for you better.

- network problems can be caused by sh*tloads of things. If you are connected to wi-fi, the logical way to go is to plug in a cable and try - that way you can determine, if it's a wi-fi modem-to-laptop problem or it's just your connection being twitchy on regular basis. Which you can't do atm, but you can check this with someone's other laptop.

Cheers, post results.
Play more promode.