Author Topic: Question about insulting rule and post editing  (Read 491 times)

Offline luke

• ~evil~
  • Contributor
  • MonsterKill Member
  • Topic Author
  • Server Account: FatAndViolent
    PSR: Loading
    Games: Loading
    Wins/Loses: Loading/Loading
    Hero K/D/A: Loading
    Creep K/D/N: Loading
    Show/hide more stats
  • Awards Warlock Tour Winner [RARE] Pudge Wars Tournament Winner [RARE] Hacks staff member [RARE] Shadow Raze Tour Award [RARE] Best B&U mod of the month 3 times in a row [EPIC] 3rd Place Admins Cup [EPIC] Uther Party Tournament Winner [COMMON]
    • View Profile
    • My channel
    • Awards
Question about insulting rule and post editing
« on: February 13, 2020, 15:12 »
I got 2 questions but i put them in 1 to not spam topics for little things. They are connected to 1 case.

1) Insulting Staff Members

Post 1 in question: http://dota.eurobattle.net/la/forum/index.php?topic=189602.msg695267#msg695267

I agree that insulting Staff Members should be punishable, since they do everything they can for the well-being of the community, i think this is 100% right. However, in this post we see insulting as well.

Post 2 in question: http://dota.eurobattle.net/la/forum/index.php?topic=189458.msg694377#msg694377

Here we see no sanction for same level of insulting.

Of course i understand that 2nd case is a friendly joke, however it can't be implied directly from the post, so for anyone who doesn't know that they are friends it might seem that the guy insulted an Administrator and no sanctions were applied which can seem really weird.

Question: maybe such situations can be avoided because they might create an impression that the Rules are not same for all?

2) Editing posts

Post in question: http://dota.eurobattle.net/la/forum/index.php?topic=189606.msg695270#msg695270

I noticed that the post has been edited. Of course, i'm not questioning Admin's sanctions for such posts but as someone who isn't familiar with the situation it seems odd to not be able to see the whole story. This isn't the only case, i saw it happening before too, even years ago.

In general, if a post contains some insults, it would be good to see what exactly was bad to avoid it in the future and make the applied sanction look justified for others.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 15:15 by luke »

Offline ilikedat

• MonsterKill Member
  • zz
  • Awards LA Ladder #11-25 [EPIC] LA Ladder #4-10 [LEGENDARY] LA Ladder #1 [LEGENDARY] Admiral Tournament Winner [RARE] Winner of 15 Photoshop Challenge Contests [LEGENDARY] Warlock Tour Winner [RARE] Pudge 1v1 Tournament Winner [RARE] Morphling Tour Winner Award [RARE] 1v1 Windrunner Tour Winner [RARE] 1v1 Enigma Tournament Winner Hacks staff member [RARE] Tours staff member [RARE] Pudge Wars Tournament Winner [RARE] Tour Pro Member [EPIC] Mirana Wars Winner [RARE] 3v3 SHOM Tournament Winner [RARE] 2v2 SHOM Tournament Winner [RARE] Uther Party Tournament Winner [COMMON] MadBalls Tournament Winner [RARE] 5v5 Xmas Tournament Winner [EPIC]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Question about insulting rule and post editing
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 15:57 »
i remember the good old days when Resor never used to ban someone for one sentence flames. even mods are instructed to use !ignore command in case someone is harrasing them

Offline jeandarc

• Administrator
  • HolyShit Member
  • Server Account: jeandarc
    Show/hide more stats
  • Awards Lagabuse Legend Winner of 1 Challenge of the Week [COMMON] Winning 3 seasons of Football Betting [EPIC] GFX Tournament Participant [COMMON] Making 50 bets in Footbal Betting [COMMON] GFX staff member [RARE] Winner of 1 Signature of the Week Contest [COMMON] LA Ladder #11-25 [EPIC] 1v1 Earthshaker Tournament Winner [RARE] 1v1 Queen of Pain Tour Winner [RARE] Winner of 5 ShadowRaze Tours [LEGENDARY] Mirana Wars Winner [RARE] Pudge 1v1 Tournament Winner [RARE] Invoker Wars Tournament [RARE] 1v1 AR Tour Winner [RARE] Pudge Wars Tournament Winner [RARE] 2v2 SHOM Tournament Winner [RARE] Uther Party Tournament Winner [COMMON] MadBalls Tournament Winner [RARE] Junior Tournament Member [RARE]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 16:23 »
1) Insulting Staff Members

Post 1 in question: http://dota.eurobattle.net/la/forum/index.php?topic=189602.msg695267#msg695267

I agree that insulting Staff Members should be punishable, since they do everything they can for the well-being of the community, i think this is 100% right. However, in this post we see insulting as well.

Post 2 in question: http://dota.eurobattle.net/la/forum/index.php?topic=189458.msg694377#msg694377

Here we see no sanction for same level of insulting.

Of course i understand that 2nd case is a friendly joke, however it can't be implied directly from the post, so for anyone who doesn't know that they are friends it might seem that the guy insulted an Administrator and no sanctions were applied which can seem really weird.

Question: maybe such situations can be avoided because they might create an impression that the Rules are not same for all?

He would have receive the punishment regardless if he was directing it towards a staff member or a forum member, he didn't get the punishment just because he insulted a staff member, if that's what you are trying to say in the first part of your post.
There's a difference between insulting someone and being sarcastic with someone, it's common sense to tell the difference, there hasn't been a single case to my knowledge where someone got banned for joking with someone, at least not in the current administration.

2) Editing posts

Post in question: http://dota.eurobattle.net/la/forum/index.php?topic=189606.msg695270#msg695270

I noticed that the post has been edited. Of course, i'm not questioning Admin's sanctions for such posts but as someone who isn't familiar with the situation it seems odd to not be able to see the whole story. This isn't the only case, i saw it happening before too, even years ago.

In general, if a post contains some insults, it would be good to see what exactly was bad to avoid it in the future and make the applied sanction look justified for others.

This happens in cases where someone adds unnecessary and unvalid addition to the case which he presents that has nothing to do with it.
It can happen in cases like this "jeandarc was being abusive to me in my last game by muting me for no reason, oh and btw the rest of the admins suck too", so we'll remove the last part because the other admins have nothing to do with jeandarc's abuse and it adds nothing to the case.

i remember the good old days when Resor never used to ban someone for one sentence flames. even mods are instructed to use !ignore command in case someone is harrasing them

In the so called "good old days" Resor would have warned you for spamming and posting offtopic like you just did, at the very least. But since we are good guys, we let people like you run your mouth when you are talking out of your ass.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 16:31 by jeandarc »

Offline Jimmy

• Honored member
  • GodLike Member
  • (Retired) LA Clan Chieftain
  • Awards Best B&U mod of the month 5 times [LEGENDARY] MVP Member [LEGENDARY] LA High Staff [EPIC] Lagabuse Legend Advisor Winner of 5 Photoshop Challenge Contests [EPIC] IHRL Member [RARE] Best Tours mod of the month 3 times in a row [EPIC] VIP Member [EPIC] Contributor [COMMON] B&U staff member [RARE] Hacks staff member [RARE] Tours staff member [RARE] Forum staff member [RARE] Best Hacks Moderator of the month [RARE] GodLike Tournament Member [LEGENDARY] Best Tours mod of the month 5 times in a row [LEGENDARY] Tournaments Contribution [RARE] DotA 5v5 Tournament Winner [EPIC] Pudge Wars Tournament Winner [RARE]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 16:32 »
In first case Player insulted Administrator and Server , and in Jeandarc dialogue with Nikola it was not the case[otherwise Jeandarc would have sanctioned him, they are obviously in friendly terms]

In second case , Post was Restored , not Edited.

Offline luke

• ~evil~
  • Contributor
  • MonsterKill Member
  • Topic Author
  • Server Account: FatAndViolent
    Show/hide more stats
  • Awards Warlock Tour Winner [RARE] Pudge Wars Tournament Winner [RARE] Hacks staff member [RARE] Shadow Raze Tour Award [RARE] Best B&U mod of the month 3 times in a row [EPIC] 3rd Place Admins Cup [EPIC] Uther Party Tournament Winner [COMMON]
    • View Profile
    • My channel
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 16:43 »
Thank you for clarification, i was just confused with these 2 cases.

For post editing, maybe the unrelated part could be put in spoiler? But generally i think if user posted  something then it should be left untouched and if its not related or insultive, then its up for the Administration to sanction him if necessary.

i think topic  can be closed, thank you for your time

Offline ilikedat

• MonsterKill Member
  • zz
  • Awards LA Ladder #11-25 [EPIC] LA Ladder #4-10 [LEGENDARY] LA Ladder #1 [LEGENDARY] Admiral Tournament Winner [RARE] Winner of 15 Photoshop Challenge Contests [LEGENDARY] Warlock Tour Winner [RARE] Pudge 1v1 Tournament Winner [RARE] Morphling Tour Winner Award [RARE] 1v1 Windrunner Tour Winner [RARE] 1v1 Enigma Tournament Winner Hacks staff member [RARE] Tours staff member [RARE] Pudge Wars Tournament Winner [RARE] Tour Pro Member [EPIC] Mirana Wars Winner [RARE] 3v3 SHOM Tournament Winner [RARE] 2v2 SHOM Tournament Winner [RARE] Uther Party Tournament Winner [COMMON] MadBalls Tournament Winner [RARE] 5v5 Xmas Tournament Winner [EPIC]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 01:53 »
I know u can make difference between on and off topic posts but seems like u are forced to defend staff when is attacked and i understand it. I dont rly know what happened between this guys i just wanted to point out that bans againts players who flame mods or even admins in one sentence shouldt be taken that seriously. U can !ignore the player or just advice him to keep calm and watch his manner thats all.