Author Topic: The future of DotA  (Read 3977 times)

Offline cen

• Eurobattle.net Admin
  • WickedSick Member
  • Topic Author
  • Lok'tar Ogar
  • Awards Lagabuse Legend LA High Staff [EPIC] MadBalls Tournament Winner [RARE] MVP Member [LEGENDARY]
    • View Profile
    • EuroBattle.net
    • Awards
The future of DotA
« on: February 06, 2017, 20:56 »
The future of DotA is uncertain. A few facts:

-W3 1.27a had an exploit which allowed the map to access all memory of PC which could be exploited by hackers. So if you played a hacked map your whole PC could get pwned.
-W3 1.27b patched this exploit
-One positive side of that exploit was that map makers like dracol1ch (d1stats dota maker) could do stuff in the map which he normally could not due to W3 restrictions since now he can access full W3 memory and do whatever advanced things he wants.
-As of right now, DotA 6.85k is the last DotA that will work on 1.27b+ and current beta and all new versions aka 6.88h+ will only work on 1.27a. He decided to rather stay on 1.27a and not support any future versions with exploit removed so he can use the exploit to his advantage.

This is obviously a problem for us because we need to stay current with Blizzard patches. PvPGN supports players connecting from different versions so we could support both at the same time. If we put bots to 6.88 that means we need to implement a version switcher in client so you will have two options for gproxy gateway, 1.27a and 1.27b. Depending on your choice client would then switch you to the desired version.

It would not be possible to play 6.88 with 1.27b+ so if you wanted to play 8MB+maps with 1.27b and then DotA 6.88 you'd have to restart w3 and enter with correct version.

We would also have to enforce correct version on bot level so if you joined a 6.88 game with wrong W3 version it would kick you out.

The other way is to stay at 6.85k but as much as I know you guys you always want new stuff in DotA so this is probably not an option.

Some people are also working on a patch to add exploit back to 1.27b but we don't know if that will actually work.

Discuss.

guest49825

Re: The future of DotA
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 23:56 »
we can just steal Iccup's DotA maps
they're updating it and not using any exploits in their map

but atm it does not have any new item that we can see in drakol1ch map
they are just balancing things and fixing bugs in last icefrog's map

Offline na_kacu

• Awards DotA 5v5 Tournament Winner [EPIC] LA Ladder #11-25 [EPIC]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 00:34 »
Awww that's sad. Tbh I couldn't wait 6.88 and thought that this ver would come with stats reset.

Dota without changes and some fresh air will eventually get boring ( without new terains, items, bug and hero balances ). Anyway comparing to Iceforg's last version this one is still really nice and balanced.

Offline cen

• Eurobattle.net Admin
  • WickedSick Member
  • Topic Author
  • Lok'tar Ogar
  • Awards Lagabuse Legend LA High Staff [EPIC] MadBalls Tournament Winner [RARE] MVP Member [LEGENDARY]
    • View Profile
    • EuroBattle.net
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 02:24 »

If that is true it is another possibility. 6.88 is still beta and will probably be full of bugs even when released so we probably have months before the decision. Can you send me a link to the iccup map and maybe which bugs were fixed?

Offline beastiary

• Pro Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 07:17 »

and making random bugs in the process :D
http://www.twitch.tv/iplayqwerty - support stream, best music
LF support partner

guest49825

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 07:53 »

If that is true it is another possibility. 6.88 is still beta and will probably be full of bugs even when released so we probably have months before the decision. Can you send me a link to the iccup map and maybe which bugs were fixed?
http://iccup.com/all/content/news/Novaya_DotA_6.83p_na_vseh_botah.html

but its on russian
try using some site translator,
changelog is under the spoiler (called '---+--- Посмотреть все изменения на карте ---+---')

http://iccup.com/files/download/b8b8d37a0819e1da188ff52084d9ba87/Novaya_DotA_6.83p.html
there is dl link

there is still bug with killed chick that does not respawn sometimes (as i see from comments)
but there is 100% fixed lycan bug, nerfed legion and such

guest49825

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 07:55 »
btw im not forcing you people to play on iccup, they got worst community ever, believe me
its created for russians and, since im russian :D, i know how bad that place is

play here,
im keeping playing here coz its better

Offline Tyrande

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 13:52 »
Awww that's sad. Tbh I couldn't wait 6.88 and thought that this ver would come with stats reset.

Dota without changes and some fresh air will eventually get boring ( without new terains, items, bug and hero balances ). Anyway comparing to Iceforg's last version this one is still really nice and balanced.

Really???

What is better balanced in Drakoshit map??? Boosted idiotic heroes like Tiny/Alchemist/Riki and company and nerfed Thrall/Lina/Batrider etc..???

Only Drakol1ch advantage are some advanced features like map zoom etc..

New Drakoshit map in beta is even more unbalanced and hope it not gonna happen here.

Idk about Iccup one but a bit better balanced Icfrog map with advanced features would be very well.

Offline Namelesswarrior

• Newbie Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 16:26 »

Yes you are right about this. 6,88 not ready yet . The beta version of this map has many flaws so it would be more logical to stay in the map currently used.

Offline luke

• ~evil~
  • Contributor
  • MonsterKill Member
  • Server Account: FatAndViolent
    PSR: Loading
    Games: Loading
    Wins/Loses: Loading/Loading
    Hero K/D/A: Loading
    Creep K/D/N: Loading
    Show/hide more stats
  • Awards Warlock Tour Winner [RARE] Pudge Wars Tournament Winner [RARE] Hacks staff member [RARE] Shadow Raze Tour Award [RARE] Best B&U mod of the month 3 times in a row [EPIC] 3rd Place Admins Cup [EPIC] Uther Party Tournament Winner [COMMON]
    • View Profile
    • My channel
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 17:20 »
The current map has tens of serious bugs not mentioning minor ones like bad descriptions and messed up special effects (like the gem effect), so i don't think it would be wise to stay on it for a long time

Offline Face^Guy

• Quantum Theroist
  • Honored member
  • WickedSick Member
  • Awards Uther Party Tournament Winner [COMMON] Bell Ringer - Music Quiz #3 [COMMON] Tournaments Contribution [RARE] 1v1 Earthshaker Tournament Winner [RARE] Hacks staff member [RARE] Tours staff member [RARE] 2nd Place Admins Cup [EPIC] Techies 1v1 Tour Winner [RARE] Tiny Tournament Winner [RARE] Junior Tournament Member [RARE]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 01:06 »
dragonlich version = low fps
icefrog version = good fps

No need to say more,
(a no i dont buy new pc)
:D

Offline cyb

• GFX Pro Member
  • MonsterKill Member
  • Server Account: cyb
    Show/hide more stats
  • Awards Winner of 3 Photo Manipulation Contest [RARE] Archer Wars Tournament Winner [RARE] Winner of 5 Challenges of the Week [EPIC] Winner of 1 Signature of the Week Contest [COMMON] The Predator Tour Winner [RARE] Tournaments Contribution [RARE] Leshrac 1v1 Tournament Winner [RARE] Invoker 1v1 Tournament Winner [RARE] Pudge Wars Tournament Winner [RARE] LA Ladder #11-25 [EPIC] Dealing with multiple GFX requests [EPIC] Patreon Supporter [RARE] Winner of 5 Daily Tours [COMMON] Shadow Raze Tour Award [RARE] Uther Party Tournament Winner [COMMON] Techies 1v1 Tour Winner [RARE] Invoker Wars Tournament [RARE] 2v2 SHOM Tournament Winner [RARE] 1v1 Nevermore Tour Winner [RARE] MadBalls Tournament Winner [RARE]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 10:38 »
I had problems with fps couple of times but its tolerable also im interested in new version of Dracolich's map but i expect fixed bugs so we can get good and quality games here. D1 will not die as long guys like me(i like oldschool games cs 1.6 and d1) play them for rest that like something "drastic" new they should buy new pc and play new games like d2 or some other new games and whats shitty part of my sad story is that i bought new pc i have 1.99GHz(which is kinda shit, i know, but i think its decent for regular users) processor and 4 GB ram memory and im able to play D2 on low graphics quality which is sad cuz i dont want to spend extra 100 euros for better properties and funny part is that i cant adapt to new look and graphic in D2 and i didnt even mention new terrain and new updates that they implement

Offline luke

• ~evil~
  • Contributor
  • MonsterKill Member
  • Server Account: FatAndViolent
    Show/hide more stats
  • Awards Warlock Tour Winner [RARE] Pudge Wars Tournament Winner [RARE] Hacks staff member [RARE] Shadow Raze Tour Award [RARE] Best B&U mod of the month 3 times in a row [EPIC] 3rd Place Admins Cup [EPIC] Uther Party Tournament Winner [COMMON]
    • View Profile
    • My channel
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 13:03 »
I had problems with fps couple of times but its tolerable also im interested in new version of Dracolich's map but i expect fixed bugs so we can get good and quality games here. D1 will not die as long guys like me(i like oldschool games cs 1.6 and d1) play them for rest that like something "drastic" new they should buy new pc and play new games like d2 or some other new games and whats shitty part of my sad story is that i bought new pc i have 1.99GHz(which is kinda shit, i know, but i think its decent for regular users) processor and 4 GB ram memory and im able to play D2 on low graphics quality which is sad cuz i dont want to spend extra 100 euros for better properties and funny part is that i cant adapt to new look and graphic in D2 and i didnt even mention new terrain and new updates that they implement

There are many memory leaks in the 6.85k which make your fps drop over time such as leorics aura leak. But i wasn't talking about fps issues (which also are important), i meant game breaking bugs like balanar's

Offline ClaraSchuman

• “Behind every successful fortune there is a crime"
  • Retired Moderator
  • MonsterKill Member
  • “Never let anyone know what you are thinking.”
  • Server Account: ClaraShuman
    Show/hide more stats
  • Awards GFX Tournament Participant [COMMON] 1v1 AR Tour Winner [RARE] The Weakest Link Tour Winner [RARE] Jungle Race Tour Winner [RARE] Hungry Hungry Felhounds Tournament [RARE] Winner Winner of 1 Photo Manipulation Contest [COMMON] Winner of 3 Photoshop Challenge Contests [RARE] LA Ladder #11-25 [EPIC] Tour Pro Member [EPIC] Rubick Tournament Winner Pudge 1v1 Tournament Winner [RARE] Best Tours mod of the month [RARE] Mirana Wars Winner [RARE] 1v1 Queen of Pain Tour Winner [RARE] Tours staff member [RARE] Leshrac 1v1 Tournament Winner [RARE] Uther Party Tournament Winner [COMMON] MadBalls Tournament Winner [RARE] VIP Member [EPIC] Making 50 bets in Footbal Betting [COMMON]
    • View Profile
    • “A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.”
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 14:37 »
I like bug balanar  :o 8)
"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse..
Great men are not born great, they grow great..”

“Revenge is a dish that tastes best when served cold..”

Offline CoMMoN1337

• WickedSick Member
  • twitch.tv/RobertC1337
  • Awards Rubick Tournament Winner Pudge 1v1 Tournament Winner [RARE] Invoker 1v1 Tournament Winner [RARE] Admiral Tournament Winner [RARE] 1v1 Windrunner Tour Winner [RARE] Techies 1v1 Tour Winner [RARE] Shadow Raze Tour Award [RARE] 2v2 SHOM Tournament Winner [RARE] 5v5 Night Cup Winner [EPIC] MadBalls Tournament Winner [RARE] Junior Tournament Member [RARE] 1v1 Nevermore Tour Winner [RARE] Best Couple (2v2) Tour Winner [RARE] Puck Tournament Winner Award [RARE]
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 17:11 »
Well I wish you guys the best of luck in this dota 1 adventure, but what I can tell you is that the number of actual good players left in dota 1, on any server not just this one, is quickly approaching 0, because the level of play is evolving much more rapidly in dota 2.